Did you know more than half of all Americans who have diabetes are over age 60? And according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases — of those over age 65, almost 1 in 5 has diabetes.
These figures are alarming — but there is good news. We live in a time where more is known about how to prevent diabetes and control it more effectively.
In The Essential Diabetes Book from Mayo Clinic, you’ll find the latest guidelines on diagnosis and testing, as well as valuable self-care tips. Discover the best ways we know to prevent or manage diabetes, and why it’s so vital to reduce your risk.
- Why is diabetes so prevalent today — have our genes changed? The answer is no, but other things have … and the good news is you have control over those “other things.”
- See if you’re at risk of developing type 2 diabetes with our eight-point checklist.
- Whether your risk is high or low, knowing the seven signs and symptoms of diabetes is vital to getting appropriate treatment much more quickly.
- Eating foods with the right balance of key ingredients is critical to your future good health. You’ll find recipes — with full-color photos — that show how easy and enjoyable eating well can be.
- People with type 2 diabetes tend to be overweight. This new book helps you identify and correct the obstacles that are holding you back from achieving a healthy weight.
- For some people, lifestyle changes aren’t enough and medications are necessary to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Find comprehensive coverage on insulin therapy and other insulin options, oral medications, new drug approaches and some experimental procedures now being researched.
With reliable information, you can take control and set a course for a healthier future.
By Mayo Clinic Store